Statement as issued Friday by Northwest Allen County Schools:
Fort Wayne, Ind. (January 24, 2014) – Due to the unusual and unrelenting winter weather that we are experiencing, please note the following information about make-up days.
- Monday, February 3 - Mid-winter break has been converted to a make-up day. Weather and road conditions permitting, NACS schools will be in session on this date.
- Monday, February 24 - Pre-scheduled make-up day – NACS schools will be in session
- Friday, March 14 - Pre-scheduled make-up day – NACS schools will be in session
- Friday, April 18 - Pre-scheduled make-up day – NACS schools will be in session
- June 2 and June 3 - As required by state law, the school year will be extended and NACS schools will be in session on these days.
NACS will be applying for the waiver opportunity announced by State Superintendent Ritz for the remaining two days. If approved, students will not be required to make-up January 6 and January 7. If the waiver is not approved, then schools will also be in session on June 4 and June 5.
The Indiana Department of Education has not established a deadline for submitting the waiver request. Therefore, I am waiting to determine if additional waiver requests are needed to avoid rescheduling our graduation date, currently scheduled for June 8. Hopefully, February, March, and April will present much improved weather conditions so that this does not become necessary. By law, it does take action from the State Superintendent or a change in state law to prevent or waive the need for making up days when schools are closed for any emergency situation.
Thank you for your continued patience. Our ability to transport students safely will continue to drive the decision about whether or not schools will be closed, delayed, or opened on a regular schedule.
Northwest Allen County Schools