The trucker involved in a fiery New Haven crash a year ago that left two dead and several others injured was arrested Wednesday by U.S. marshals in South Carolina.
Scott Saunders, 51, faces 16 counts that include reckless homicide, involuntary manslaughter and criminal recklessness stemming from the six-vehicle wreck Jan. 8, 2013.
Police responded to the wreck at U.S. 30 and Doyle Road on New Havens east side and found three cars, two sport utility vehicles and the semi driven by Saunders were spread across the highway, scattering the area with debris and glass.
Seven people were hospitalized after the crash and two later died, police said.
Suzanne K. Stephenson, 65, of Monroeville, and Sandra Dealey, 43, of Convoy, were killed in the crash, the first fatal wreck of 2013.
Both women died of blunt-force trauma.
The womens vehicles and others were hit from behind by the semi driven by Saunders, which, according to police, failed to slow down or stop as the light turned from red to green.
Four lawsuits were filed against Saunders and his trucking company, Kutzler Express, after the crash.
The family members of Dealey and Stephenson sued Kutlzer Express and Saunders, as did Marsha Sarrazin, another of the injured.
In May, four other survivors – Meredith Ritchie, Robert Gardner, Fred Pottschmidt and Ryan Swart – sued seeking restitution for medical bills, lost wages and other damages.
At least three of those lawsuits had been settled as of November.
Saunders was arrested Wednesday in Greenville, S.C., the U.S. Marshals Service said.
When deputies told Saunders they had an Indiana warrant for his arrest, he said he knew what the warrant was about, officials said.
Saunders, of Kenosha, Wis., will await extradition back to Indiana.