You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

Courtesy Allen County Sheriff's Department
Freddie M. Alcantar Jr.

Son-in-law charged in August murder

The son-in-law of 59-year-old Debra Jones, found dead in August inside her home on Fort Wayne's northeast side, has been charged in her slaying.

Prosecutors charged Freddie M. Alcantar Jr., 36, of the 3000 block of McDonald Street, with murder Thursday. He was not in custody Thursday evening, and there was a warrant out for his arrest.

Jones' body was discovered Aug. 30 inside her suburban home at 5518 Myanna Lane, near St. Joe Center and Maplecrest roads.

An autopsy revealed that she bled to death from sharp trauma to her neck, and her death was ruled Allen County's 30th homicide of 2013 – a year that would end with 44.

Little else was said, and residents in the neighborhood expressed concern in interviews at the time that the crime was random.

But court documents allege it was not a random act, and while there is no motive ascribed to Alcantar, investigators were able to link him to the crime by his own statements, cellphone records and blood found on the kitchen counter.

Jones' body was found inside her bathroom, covered in blood. According to police, Jones' daughter discovered her body about 1 p.m. Aug. 30.

Her daughter, according to the obituary at the Dooley Funeral Home in Antwerp, is married to Alcantar. She has not been charged in connection with the homicide.

Investigators found a shoe- or boot print under Jones' body, and blood evidence was collected throughout the house. While the source of the footprint has not been identified, the blood evidence collected was sent to the Indiana State Police laboratories for analysis, according to court documents.

Getting a search warrant for Alcantar's cellphone, Fort Wayne Police Detective Brian Martin learned that, despite Alcantar's insistence he never left his home early on the morning of Jones' death and remained in bed with his wife, he was in the same area as Jones at the time of her death, about 2:30 a.m.

Then, in late December, police acquired surveillance video from a gas station on the north side of the city, showing Alcantar on his cellphone. He was wearing shoes police were found inside his home, according to court documents.

On Wednesday, police received the final piece of information: DNA results from the Indiana State Police lab, identifying Alcantar's blood mixed with someone else's on the kitchen counter of Jones' home.

Alcantar told police he had been in only the bedroom and the bathroom of the home when he and his wife discovered her body.

Alcantar has prior arrests for misdemeanor battery and criminal conversion, according to court records.

In one of the conversion cases, prosecutors wanted to revoke Alcantar's probation because he was not current with his fees. He also was found to be in contempt of court for failure to appear.

In the second conversion case, filed in October, he was arrested and released on his own recognizance but then failed to appear for a hearing. There is a warrant out for his arrest in that case as well.