You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • 582-pound pot bust delivers plea deal
    A man connected to a quarter-ton marijuana haul last spring admitted to his role in intending to deal the drug. Alvaro Rivera-Arvayo, 23, pleaded guilty Thursday in U.S.
  • Ex-inmate suing Adams County Sheriff, officer
    A former inmate at the Adams County Jail has sued the sheriff and a confinement officer in federal court, alleging she was the repeated victim of sexual assaults while in custody on a drug charge.
  • Guilty plea likely in PBS39 theft scam
    The former finance manager at PBS39 is expected to plead guilty to a federal fraud charge today.

2nd man admits role in February slaying


– The day after his accomplice admitted to playing a role in the killing, a 23-year-old man Tuesday confessed to his part in the February shooting death.

Jose J. Lopez, 24, appeared in Allen Superior Court on Tuesday and entered pleas of guilty to three felony charges in the death of 28-year-old Antonio Galvan III. Lopez pleaded guilty to residential entry, aggravated battery and obstruction of justice.

As part of a plea agreement with Allen County prosecutors, Lopez is looking at a 23-year prison sentence.

A murder charge levied against him will be dropped if the agreement is accepted at his sentencing next month.

Lopez and 28-year-old Augustus Marshall were both accused of killing Galvan, who was shot when two men came to the door of his McDonald Street home one morning in late February.

The two men were there to settle a $2,000 drug debt with Galvan, according to court documents.

Galvan’s brother, who was in the home at the time of the killing, told police he heard a shot as Galvan went to answer the door and then saw him fall backward with a wound to his neck.

Marshall and Lopez were eventually captured hours later after leading police on a car chase.

During that pursuit, Lopez dumped a shotgun out of the car, which led to the obstruction of justice charge against him. The two men ended up in a home of a woman they did not know in an effort to evade police.

On Monday, Marshall accepted a plea agreement that called for him to be sentenced to 27 years in prison.

He pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and residential entry.

His trial was to start Tuesday and part of his plea agreement called for him to testify in Lopez’s trial, which was to begin next week.

Lopez spoke softly during his court appearance Tuesday and gave short answers to questions lobbed at him.

These usually ranged from “yes, sir” to “guilty, sir.”