You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • 1 held in cemetery slaying
    Police have arrested a Fort Wayne man on a murder charge in connection with the death of a woman whose body was found Monday in an undeveloped portion of Catholic Cemetery.
  • Police arrest suspect in school break-in
    A 30-year-old South Bend man has been arrested in connection with Monday morning's break-in at Tippecanoe Valley Middle School, thanks to numerous tips, the Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department said today.
  • Body found near graves
    Fort Wayne police were investigating the suspicious death of a woman found at an undeveloped part of a northeast-side cemetery Monday afternoon.
Advertisement

Man implicated in homicide admits involvement in killing

One of two men implicated in a homicide last year has now admitted to his involvement in the killing.

Augustus S. Marshall, 28, pleaded guilty to felony counts of residential entry and voluntary manslaughter in connection to the February shooting death of Antonio Galvan III.

Marshall's admission to his role in the killing came Monday as part of a plea agreement in Allen Superior Court.

The deal calls for him to be sentenced to 23 years in prison and it cancels out his murder trial, which was scheduled to begin today Tuesday.

Marshall and a man identified as 23-year-old Jose J. Lopez were arrested shortly after Galvan's death.

According to court documents, Galvan, 28, was at his home on McDonald Street when two men came knocking on his door.

The men identified themselves as "Fat Jose" – which police say is Lopez – and "Mont"–- which investigators pegged as Marshall.

The two men were known to Galvan and were visiting to clear up a $2,000 drug debt he owed them, according to court documents.

At some point at least one shot rang out, according to Galvan's brother, who was in the home, and Galvan ended up dead.

Marshall and Lopez were arrested later after a car chase with police on the south side of town before fleeing into a home owned by a woman they did not know.

In an interview with police, Lopez said Marshall was the gunman and that he had actually kicked in the door and shot Galvan.

Both men were charged with murder.

If Marshall's plea deal is accepted by a judge at his sentencing next month, the murder charge against him will be dropped.

He'll be ordered to serve three years on the residential entry charge and 30 years on the voluntary manslaughter count.

Those two sentences will be run at the same time, though.

And the plea also calls for 23 years of the voluntary manslaughter count served behind bars, with the remainder suspended.

Lopez was scheduled to plead guilty last week, but that hearing was canceled.

His murder trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 21.

jeffwiehe@jg.net

Advertisement