You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Stun gun used as mom flees police
    With her young children yelling “Stop, mommy,” police chasing Paris Laramore eventually had to use a stun gun against her, they said.
  • Victims of fatal US 30 crash ID'd
    Two northwest Indiana women were identified as the victims in a deadly, fiery crash Saturday in Kosciusko County.
  • Stun gun used asmom flees police
    With her young children yelling “Stop, mommy,” police chasing Paris Laramore eventually had to use a stun gun against her, they said.
Advertisement
File | The Journal Gazette
Scene of the fatal crash.

Semi driver charged in deadly 2013 crash

A trucker involved in a New Haven crash that left two people dead last year is now facing a slew of felony charges.

Allen County prosecutors Thursday formally charged Scott A. Saunders, 51, of Kenosha, Wis., with two counts of reckless homicide, eight counts of criminal recklessness and other counts ranging from involuntary manslaughter, speeding and following too closely.

Saunders is accused of failing to stop his semi before rear ending two vehicles on U.S. 30 just west of Doyle Road on New Haven’s east side on Jan. 8, 2013.

The crash caused a six-vehicle wreck, spreading cars and SUVs all over the highway along with debris and glass.

Suzanne K. Stephenson, 65 of Monroeville, and Sandra Dealey, 43, of Convoy, Ohio, were killed in the crash.

Both were driving separate cars alone and wearing seat belts. The Allen County coroner later ruled they died from blunt force trauma.

Several lawsuits were filed against Saunders and his trucking company, Kutzler Express, in the wake of the crash.

At least three of those lawsuits had been settled as of November.

jeffwiehe@jg.net

Advertisement