The cold weather played havoc with firefighters’ attempts to douse a blaze in Fremont on Monday.
A garage attached to a home at 3590 N. 750 E. accidental caught fire because of a wood stove at about 10:20 a.m., according to the Fremont Fire Department.
Firefighters were able go into the garage to quickly extinguish the fire, but it had spread to the living room.
Crews had trouble getting water due to the weather and below freezing temperatures with trucks and hoses freezing, the fire department said in a statement.
Several surrounding fire departments from Michigan, Ohio and Angola helped fight the fire, which caused $20,000 worth of damage.