The following statement was issued Saturday by the Indiana Department of Homeland Security:
Hazardous winter weather is making its way toward Indiana. Heavy snow and extremely low temperatures are expected to create dangerous weather situations for Hoosiers. Take the time now to prepare for these conditions in advance.
Purchase a weather radio with a backup hand crank or battery power option to keep updated in the event of a power outage. Weather radios are commonly found at local hardware, home improvement or discount stores.
Purchase non-perishable food items and bottled water for both the home and any vehicles. Food that does not need to be cooked can go a long way in a power outage. Check all medications and consider filling prescriptions, if possible. Travel to a pharmacy once snow, wind and low temperatures arrive may be hazardous.
In vehicles and homes, have extra blankets in addition to coats or jackets, socks, and other warm clothing. Keep a flashlight with extra batteries nearby.
For more winter weather safety tips, visit GetPrepared.IN.gov.
- Treacherous times ahead
- 2 days of below zero highs ahead
- Winter weather advisories
- Wind chill warning starts Monday
- Pence: Prepare for severe winter weather, look out for neighbors
- Historic freeze could break Midwest temp records
- Football fans, teams prepare for deep freeze
- How to stay safe in extreme cold