You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire


Man formally charged with battery in recent stabbing

FORT WAYNE -- The man came over to his girlfriend’s house intoxicated, which prompted an argument.

That’s when the woman decided to end what she described as her on-again, off-again relationship with him.

And that’s when he decided to pull a knife and stab her.

On Friday, Allen County prosecutors formally charged a 21-year-old in connection with that stabbing, which left the woman in critical condition at a local hospital last weekend.

Michael R. Johnson, of 340 block of McKinnie Avenue, now faces one felony count of aggravated battery and two felony counts of battery.

Last Saturday, Fort Wayne police officers were called to a home at 2615 Fairfield View Place in reference to a problem unknown.

While responding, an officer was flagged down by a motorist who was taking a woman from the home to a local hospital.

The woman, later identified as Yaviana Reanta White, was suffering from stab wounds to her chest, back, rib area, arms and hands.

She was taken to a local hospital where doctors prepared to perform emergency surgery for her life-threatening wounds.

Before they did so, though, she spoke to police detectives about what happened.

White told police that Johnson came over to her home drunk and the two began to argue in her room.

In another room sat her 11-year-old son and her roommate, both of whom were watching a movie.

At some time, White told Johnson she was breaking up with him, according to Allen Superior Court documents.

Johnson then went downstairs and began looking for something, claiming that he needed a lighter. After he came back up to White’s bedroom he pulled a kitchen knife and began stabbing her, according to court documents.

White’s son and roommate both heard the woman yelling for help. When the roommate went into White’s bedroom, she told police, she saw Johnson on top of her while White tried to fight him off.

The roommate tried to punch Johnson but then ran when he turned toward her. Eventually Johnson fled the house through the front door, court records said.

White survived the attack. Johnson was later arrested at his home and was being held in lieu of $10,000 bond.