You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Tips lead to suspect in fatal store shooting
    FORT WAYNE – Police have arrested a suspect in the shooting of Antonio L. Niño, who was killed during an armed robbery April 7 at the tobacco shop he owned.
  • 582 pounds of pot seized at north-side house
    FORT WAYNE – Two men are in custody after police converged on a north-side house Tuesday, seizing about 582 pounds of marijuana, according to a statement issued Wednesday by Cpl.
  • Sexual offender nabbed in Steuben
    Just one day after the Steuben County Sheriff’s Department put the word out it was looking for a registered sex offender, the department made an arrest in the case. Police were looking for Corey A.

Woman accused of forging prescriptions


A Fort Wayne woman is accused of forging prescriptions for pain pills, anxiety medication and other drugs at four different pharmacies.

Brittany Ellert, 27, faces five counts of possession of a controlled substance by subterfuge, attempted possession of a controlled substance by subterfuge, six counts of forgery and one count of false reporting.

Between Oct. 21 and Nov. 27, Ellert took counterfeit prescriptions to Walgreens and Kroger pharmacies and twice to Meijer and North Anthony pharmacies, according to court documents.

The prescriptions included Adderall, a drug used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy; Clonazepam, a drug taken for seizures, panic disorders and anxiety; and Oxycodone and acetaminophen, used for the treatment of pain, the documents said.

A Kroger pharmacist contacted police after Ellert gave him a prescription that was handwritten. The pharmacist told police he was familiar with the alleged prescribing doctor and knew he typed his prescriptions.

Ellert, of the 14300 block of Shore Oaks Cove, was released after posting bond Thursday, officers said.