You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Six escape burning quadplex
    Six people escaped a burning quadplex without injuries early Wednesday morning, according to a Fort Wayne Fire Department statement. When firefighters arrived at 928 Rivermet at 1:43 a.m.
  • Kentucky suspect arrested in Noble
    A man wanted for several sex charges out of Kentucky was in custody Tuesday night in Noble County.The sheriff’s department put out notice earlier in the day that it sought the public’s help in finding Sylvester R.
  • Accused shooter faces new charges
    A Fort Wayne man arrested this month in a late-night shooting was hit with an additional charge after formal charges were filed Tuesday.Originally arrested on one felony charge of aggravated battery, Curtis L.

Victim of beating identified

The man who lost consciousness during a beating early Wednesday in downtown Fort Wayne has been identified as Ronald Wayne Bolin, according to court papers.

Bolin, 32, was taken to Lutheran Hospital in critical condition with a possible skull fracture, court papers stated. An update on his condition was not available Thursday, hospital staff said.

Soon after the beating, Dennis Tyson Jr., 29, was arrested on a preliminary count of aggravated battery. He is being held at the Allen County Lockup in lieu of $50,000 bail.

The beating happened shortly before 4 a.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of West Wayne Street, police said.

Witnesses told police they saw Tyson punching Bolin, who eventually ended up on the ground. Tyson walked away and then came back to kick Bolin in the head and body several times while he was down, court papers said.

Police were called, and when officers arrived they found Bolin lying in the middle of Wayne Street. He was bleeding and unresponsive, police said.

Tyson was arrested after he called 911 to report that witnesses to the beating were trying to rob him. In an interview with police, Tyson acknowledged beating Bolin but told police he was acting in self-defense, court papers said.