You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

World

  • WHO: Number of Ebola-linked cases passes 10,000
    DAKAR, Senegal – More than 10,000 people have been infected with Ebola, according to figures released Saturday by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread.
  • Iran hangs woman for killing alleged rapist
    TEHRAN, Iran – Iran has hanged a woman convicted of murdering a man she said was trying to rape her.  The official IRNA news agency says Reyhaneh Jabbari was hanged at dawn Saturday for premeditated murder.
  • Tunisians skeptical on eve of historic election
    TUNIS, Tunisia – In a raucous cafe in a Tunis slum, men talked in loud voices and paid little attention to the politicians debating on the television mounted on the wall.
Advertisement

Royal blunder at Buckingham

Police demand Andrew identify self

Andrew

– You might forgive Britain’s royal protection unit for being a little jittery.

Two days after an intruder was discovered prowling around Buckingham Palace, police confronted Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, in the royal residence’s garden and demanded he identify himself.

London’s Metropolitan Police said in an email Sunday that they had apologized to Andrew, also known as the Duke of York, and the royal responded with a touch of humor.

“I am grateful for their apology and look forward to a safe walk in the garden in the future,” he said in a statement.

Wednesday’s embarrassing mix-up with the duke followed an even more embarrassing security breach Sept. 2, when an intruder was arrested after having scaled the fence around the palace. He and an alleged accomplice were arrested on suspicion of burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary, respectively.

The confrontation between the duke and police was first reported by Britain’s Sunday Express tabloid, which reported it under the eye-catching headline: “PRINCE ANDREW HELD AT GUNPOINT.”

Although the Met’s royal protection officers do sometimes carry weapons, the force denied the paper’s assertion that Andrew had guns pointed at him, insisting that no weapons were ever drawn.

In comments to BBC television, former royal protection officer Dai Davies cautioned that, even if the story had been blown out of proportion by the press, the incident “does sound a little unusual.”

Advertisement