You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Courts

Advertisement

Fort Wayne man gets 29 years in attempted bank heist

A Fort Wayne man has been sentenced to more than 29 years in prison for his role in an April 2012 attempted bank robbery in southwest Ohio, the U.S. Attorney for southern Ohio has announced.

Anthony Marquette Phillips, 44, pleaded guilty in October. He was sentenced Wednesday to 235 months in the attempted robbery and an additional 120 months for using and discharging a firearm during it.

According to court documents, Phillips and Anton Jevon Alexander, 36, of Indianapolis approached a Fifth Third Bank branch manager in Springboro, Ohio, a Dayton suburb, as the manager was entering his bank's rear door at 8:30 a.m., pushing him inside.

Springboro police arrived about 10 minutes later after receiving a 911 call, the documents said. They said the men attempted to flee, and Phillips fired a shot at the manager, who escaped safely.

The men remained in the bank until about 1:30 p.m. when they emerged and were taken into custody, the documents said.

Alexander was sentenced last month to 15 years in prison.

Advertisement