MIAMI – The Miami Marlins’ celebrity manager was a bust, so they’re calling one up from the minors.
Mike Redmond, who spent the past two years managing Class A teams in the Toronto Blue Jays’ system, was hired Thursday by the Marlins to replace Ozzie Guillen.
A former major league catcher, Redmond had not interviewed for a big-league job until he met with the Marlins last week. He received a three-year contract and will be introduced as the Marlins’ fifth manager since mid-2010 at a news conference at their ballpark Friday.
Guillen said he would be rooting for Redmond.
Congrats Mike Redmond, Guillen tweeted. Good luck buddy u have great guys going to play for you. ... Hope the best for you. u are a good baseball man and you will have fun with the players.
Guillen was fired last week after only one season with the Marlins. A year ago they traded two minor league players to obtain him from the Chicago White Sox and gave him a team-record $10 million, four-year deal.
Redmond brings a much lower profile. A .287 hitter over 13 seasons, he played seven years for the Marlins and was the backup catcher to Ivan Rodriguez on their 2003 World Series championship team.
I think it’s a great hire, said Jack McKeon, who managed Redmond with the Marlins. I’m just delighted. He’s a very knowledgeable young man. He was an unselfish player and dedicated. I was very impressed when I had him the years I was in Florida. I thought someday he would make a good manager.
In 2011, Redmond, 41, managed the Lansing Lugnuts to the Midwest League finals.
NL MVPs Marty Marion and Bucky Walters, and former New York Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert are among 10 candidates on the ballot for the baseball Hall of Fame’s pre-integration era committee.
Former players Bill Dahlen, Wes Ferrell, Tony Mullane and Deacon White also are on the 10-man ballot, along with former St. Louis Cardinals owner Samuel Breadon, sporting goods executive Alfred Reach and umpire Hank O’Day.
A 16-member committee will meet Dec. 2-3 at the winter meetings in Nashville, Tenn.
Electees, who must receive at least 75 percent of votes, will be inducted on July 28 along with any players elected by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in voting announced Jan. 9. The BBWAA ballot will include Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens for the first time.
Candidates for the pre-integration committee must have made their most significant impact by 1946.
Former major league pitcher Pascual Perez, who had a troubled 11-season career that included two suspensions for drug use, was killed at his home in the Dominican Republic in an apparent robbery, police said.
Perez, who last played in the majors for the New York Yankees in 1991, was found with a severe head wound in a town west of the capital, Santo Domingo, and there was evidence at the scene to suggest that whoever killed him had been searching for money, said Joel Valdemiro, a prosecutor who is involved in the investigation.
Around the leagues
Philadelphia picked up the $5 million 2013 option on catcher Carlos Ruiz and declined options on utility man Ty Wigginton and reliever Jose Contreras. The Phillies also gave third basement Placido Polanco a $1 million buyout. Outfielder Juan Pierre and catcher Brian Schneider became free agents.
San Francisco declined a $10 million club option for outfielder Aubrey Huff. Tampa Bay is bringing back Don Zimmer, 81, for the 2013 season as a senior adviser, marking his 10th with the Rays and 65th season in professional baseball.
Lefty Jorge De La Rosa exercised his $11 million player option for 2013, the final year in a three-year, $33 million contract. Atlanta claimed outfielder Jordan Schafer off waivers from Houston. Arizona declined a $1.25 million option on catcher Henry Blanco and a $4 million option on right-handed reliever Matt Lindstrom.