You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Motor Racing

Advertisement
Associated Press
Cars go through a turn during Saturday night’s race at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tenn.

Penske still mulling decision on driver

– Roger Penske said he’s taking his time deciding who will drive his No. 22 car next season.

Penske released AJ Allmendinger after his failed drug test, and Sam Hornish Jr. has been driving the car since Daytona in July. But the search continues for a full-time solution.

“We’ve got a lot of races left and we’ve really got to take a look at all the options until we get to the final decision,” Penske said before Saturday night’s race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

“You just don’t make a decision like this. Sam’s running well, we’ve got sponsors, we’ve got to decide if we want to have three cars next year or two.”

Penske fields two cars right now but has room to expand providing he had the sponsorship for additional teams.

Joey Logano, in the final year of his contract with Joe Gibbs Racing, has been mentioned repeatedly as a strong candidate for the ride.

“He’s obviously a candidate,” Penske said. “But there’s other good people, too, that people haven’t talked about yet. There’s always a couple of rabbits.”

Penske declined to name any other drivers, but said Hornish is “absolutely” still a candidate.

Meanwhile, Matt Kenseth said he expected to announce where he’ll drive “within the next two weeks.”

Kenseth and Roush Fenway Racing said in June they were splitting at the end of the season, and Kenseth has had his new job lined up since then. He’s believed to be going to JGR to replace Logano, but has been restricted from revealing his 2013 team.

Advertisement