Kate's Advice Tam
When I started this tam, I knew I didn't have enough yarn. So, I dropped a bunch of stitches before beginning the decrease rounds. You can use any yarn that provides a nice fabric using #11 needles, after you have dropped and run down every third stitch.
I used handspun Shetland wool, spun in a sloppy, woolen style, which gave me about 76 yards of yarn. Please make a test swatch to make sure that your stitches will unravel easily after the drop round. Mine resisted my efforts.
Because of the dropped stitches, this hat looks extra-scary before it is blocked. I did remember to take photos this week, so you can see the carnage that turns into a tam, and what it looked like when I started to drop the stitches.
But enough about some random hat. Let's get to the main attraction.
Those of you who have been with me for a while may remember that I spent about 5 weeks reading The Principles of Knitting and tweeted about it the whole time. Don't worry if you missed it, I saved all of the tweets in a Storify.
Anyway, the day that I finished my mini-opus of reading and tweeting notes, I got an email from June Hemmons Hiatt that said something very nice about my work. I don't really remember what it said, though, because I was too busy completely freaking out that, um, June Hemmons Hiatt knows that I exist.
Once I calmed down, I asked her if she would consider talking with me for the podcast and she agreed.
We talked for a good long while about how she learned to knit, her books, and buying local stuff whenever we can. If you enjoy it half as much as I did, it will be your favorite podcast this week.
- I was trying to think of crew (or rowing). Sorry athletes who are into that!
- Elizabeth Zimmermann founded Schoolhouse Press.
- (I wrote about Knitting America for Lara's Library.)
- Two Hooked Seams was part of Math4Knitters, Crafty Living: Show 119
- My Storify of I Love the Principles of Knitting
- Traders Point Creamery is in Zionsville. Incidentally, you can get some Traders Point products using Green Bean Delivery Service.