You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Area near I-469, Auburn Road reopens after gas leak
    The roads around Interstate 469 and Auburn Road have been cleared and reopened after a construction crew hit a gas line this morning, requiring patients and staff from two medical buildings to be evacuated for a time, Fort Wayne firefighters said.
  • 2 hurt in Noble County crash
    Two people were hurt Tuesday evening when their vehicles collided in rural Noble County.
  • Wheelie leads to collision
    The woman sat on the sidewalk, smothering her face in towels and tissues as three men put their arms around her. Just up the street, amid the destroyed motorcycle and debris littering the road, was her son.
Advertisement

Portable heater likely cause of fatal fire, officials say

A portable heater used to thaw pipes in the basement of northeast Indiana lake home appears to be the source of a fatal fire, according to a preliminary report issued Thursday.

The fire at 2147 Chapman Lake Drive on Wednesday morning appears to have started in the basement, the Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team said in a statement.

The identity of the body found inside has not been released by officials.

Sheriff’s deputies and five fire departments were sent to the blaze reported about 10:30 a.m.

When they arrived, the house was engulfed in flames, and the fire’s intensity kept firefighters from entering the home, said Sgt. Chad Hill, a spokesman for the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department, for an earlier story.

Two renters living in part of the house had safely escaped the fire and gone to a neighbor’s home to call 911.

The flames spread to a neighboring house to the north at 2141 Chapman Lake Drive.

Advertisement